This in-depth review of the best muzzles for Pitbulls will help you decide which model is suitable for your pet and your needs. Muzzles for dogs have several benefits for the animal and the owner.
However, as the owner of a pit bull, the stigma that comes with the breed can be challenging to handle. This association is especially true if you need a muzzle for your four-legged friend.
While some individuals may view a dog with a muzzle as a threat, they can be quite the opposite. Your beloved Pittie can lead a happy and healthy life outside of your home with the right product, so we offer this comprehensive list.
If you don’t have time to go through each detail of these products, our top pick is the BronzeDog Muzzle. The muzzle is of superior quality, it has a comfortable shape and wire spacing that allow ample breathing and airflow while helping to restrict excessive nose licking.
However, each Pitbull has individual needs, which is why we have researched several other great options too.
The Best Muzzles for Pitbulls Reviewed
Here is a quick overview of the best muzzles for Pitbulls available today.
- Our Top Pick: BronzeDog Adjustable Wire Basket Muzzle
- Best for Broad Nosed Dogs: Baskerville Lightweight Ultra
- Best for Snug Fit: CollarDirect Leather Basket Dog Muzzle
- Best for Breathability: Mayerzon Basket Dog Muzzle
- Best to Prevent Wound Licking: Baskerville Anti-Scavenger
- Best for Short Snout Dogs: CollarDirect
BronzeDog Adjustable Wire Basket Muzzle: Our Top Pick
This model from BronzeDog is the best muzzle for pitbull breeds we found in the market today. Its stainless steel wire basket is durable, and its four different leather adjustable straps ensure a snug and proper fit for your pitbull.
Topped off with heavy-duty metal buckles, you are sure this muzzle from BronzeDog will stay in place once you put it on your pet.
This model is not too heavy and will not restrict your pitbull’s movements or strain its neck during wear. In addition, the wire construction enables your pet to drink water and accept small treats without issues while wearing this muzzle.
- High-quality, durable materials
- Includes four adjustable straps
- Ample room for your dog to drink water, pant, and breathe
- Affordable option for pet owners
- Square basket shape will not suit other dog breeds or fit well for pitbull mixes with longer, skinnier snouts
- Does not prevent excessive barking
Baskerville Lightweight Ultra: Best for Broad Nosed Dogs
Pitbulls are notorious for having broad noses, making some muzzles fit inadequately. Baskerville solves this issue by providing an adjustable, lightweight model that dog owners can customize for their pets.
Consisting of malleable thermal plastic rubber, you can heat it in hot water to mold around your pitbull’s snout for a customizable fit.
The Baskerville Adjustable Lightweight Ultra Dog Muzzle uses an ergonomic design for the most comfortable feel during use. This muzzle also includes Neoprene padded lining and cushioned face straps to help minimize any chafing or pressure on your dog’s skin.
The nylon straps are adjustable to ensure a correct fit for any pit bull. This muzzle from Baskerville includes an optional, removable overhead safety strap and comes with a collar attachment loop for optimal control and security during use.
In addition, it is soft and lightweight, ensuring that your dog is comfortable and everyone around them is safe.
- Customizable by molding with hot water
- Includes a collar attachment loop
- Provides additional safety with an overhead security strap
- Allows drinking, panting, and eating treats without issues
- Plastic fastener clips can wear out and break
- Not for dogs with longer snouts
CollarDirect Leather Basket Dog Muzzle: Best for Snug Fit
This hand-made leather basket dog muzzle for pitbull breeds from CollarDirect is a terrific option when dog owners need a nice, snug fit. It uses a cross-weave design that is soft on your pet’s skin and allows airflow and circulation for proper ventilation.
The CollarDirect Leather Basket Dog Muzzle is an excellent choice for dogs that require a snug fit to avoid problems with biting, wound licking, or aggression. In addition, it is a perfect training tool for dogs of all ages.
The maximum size of this muzzle is for dogs with a 4-inch long snout and 14-inch snout circumference.
This leather basket muzzle for pitbull breeds from CollarDirect has a top loop to attach it to your pet’s collar. Its leather straps are durable and strong, but dog owners should not give their pitbull the chance to try and paw at the straps and rip the muzzle off. Proper acclimation is vital when introducing a muzzle to your pet.
- Multi-purpose to minimize barking, biting, or other negative behaviors
- Sturdy metal buckle fastener to keep the muzzle secure
- Adjustable fit
- Made with genuine leather materials
- Offers only two adjustable straps
- Leather straps may stretch with overuse
Mayerzon Breathable Basket Dog Muzzle: Best for Breathability
The Mayerzon Breathable Basket Dog Muzzle provides exceptional ventilation for active Pitbulls who pant during exercise. However, muzzles should not restrict the ability to breathe in and exhale, which can harm your pet.
Thankfully, this model from Mayerzon covers a dog’s mouth and inhibits movement but allows exceptional breathability.
The muzzle remains as rigid and durable as other competitors’ models that use alternative materials. There is also a security head strap for optimal control and safety during wear.
Pet owners can set the pliable, soft rubber basket wider or more narrow, depending on your pitbull’s individual needs. Dogs can eat treats, drink water, pant, and have exceptional ventilation using the Mayerzon Breathable Basket Dog Muzzle.
Your four-legged friend will not become overheated while out for walks or playing while wearing this muzzle.
Mayerzon includes a training book to help you acclimate your pitbull to wearing a muzzle without any issues.
- Uses natural, non-toxic rubber materials
- Exceptional breathability
- Includes adjustable neck strap
- Comes in five different sizes
- Not suitable for extremely short snouts
- Proper sizing can be challenging
Baskerville Anti-Scavenger: Best to Prevent Wound Licking
If your pitbull is recovering from an injury, the Baskerville Anti-Scavenger Humane Ultra Dog Muzzle is the perfect solution to keep them from licking their wounds. This dog muzzle model is lightweight for optimal comfort but durable enough for your pitbull to wear as a preventive measure.
Baskerville uses pliable, soft rubber material that you can customize to fit your dog by submerging it in hot water for a molded shape. This way, a broad snout will have ample comfortable and safe coverage.
The all-around mouth coverage permits your pet to eat, drink, and pant without allowing biting or licking during use. Its ergonomic design ensures a comfortable fit, even on dogs with broad snouts, like Pitbulls.
In addition, this Baskerville dog muzzle includes a Neoprene lining that is soft on your pet’s skin and will not promote chafing or irritate them during use.
- Full mouth coverage to prevent biting and licking
- Allows eating, drinking, and panting
- Strong buckle attachments for stability and security
- Soft, Neoprene lining for a comfortable fit
- Not ideal for puppies
- Should not be worn for long periods
CollarDirect Genuine Leather Basket Muzzle: Best for Short Snout Dogs
CollarDirect manufactures an excellent leather pitbull basket muzzle for short snout dogs. This model uses genuine hand-crafted leather materials and includes polished hardware for a distinctly classic look.
The CollarDirect Genuine Leather Basket Muzzle is suitable for Pitbulls with a 4-inch snout length and a 13-inch circumference. The sturdy metal buckles ensure a secure fit around your pet’s head, so there is no worry of it slipping off.
Dog owners can adjust the straps for a customizable fit to suit their pitbull. However, proper measurements are necessary when outfitting your animal. This muzzle should not come higher than ½-inch below your dog’s eyes for short snouts and 1-inch below the eyes for large dogs.
- Leather material softens with regular use
- Forehead strap prevents easy removal
- Available in four colors
- Provides a comfortable, but non-flexible fit
- Only available in one size
- Front basket is not removable
Buying Guide: How To Choose the Best Muzzles for Pitbulls
Selecting a muzzle for pitbull dog breeds is not an easy task. Several factors can help you determine what type and style of muzzle will work best for your pet. This helpful buying guide can provide critical information to make the best choice possible.
Why Would a Pitbull Need To Use a Muzzle?
Purchasing a muzzle for your pitbull can help minimize several problems with your pet. Some beneficial reasons for using a muzzle include:
- Preventing wound licking
- Eliminating biting other animals or people
- Keeping reactive dogs safe
- Makes grooming and vet visits easier
- Helps acclimate them to new animals
- Avoiding unnecessary blame or stigma
- Ensuring a safer environment during walks
- Minimize the consumption of inedible items
If your pitbull recently had surgery or received an injury, you must keep him from licking the area. Short-term muzzling can ensure the wound heals properly and quickly so he can return to normal activities.
Eliminating Biting and Curbing Reactive Dogs
Of course, one of the major reasons for obtaining a pitbull dog muzzle is to prevent them from biting other animals or people. This way, you can keep your pet and others safe from harm.
Some dogs are highly reactive, becoming scared easily. Rescue animals or dogs with anxiety can unintentionally bite when caught off guard. Muzzling ensures that these situations will not occur under your care.
Better Grooming and Vet Visits
Even the best Pitbulls sometimes do not like getting their nails trimmed or visiting the vet. These isolated cases can call for a muzzle to help ease the mind of your groomer or vet when handling your dog.
Acclimation to New Animals
Meeting new animals can be a high-stress activity for some pit bulls. Growing, snarling, and biting can occur when tensions are extreme or a dog is nervous. Muzzles can help provide a buffer when high-stress situations arise.
Avoiding Stigma and Providing a Safer Environment
The pitbull breed brings a stigma that many others do not understand. Dog owners of pitties may find that using a muzzle on their four-legged friend helps to eliminate any unnecessary nervousness while out walking their pet or meeting other dogs at the park.
Consuming Inedible Objects
Some animals have a high drive to consume items around the home or out on walks. Otherwise known as Pica, many dogs will eat things like rocks, garbage, and inedible products that can cause intestinal blockage.
Muzzling your pet can save you money in expensive vet bills from emergency surgery and extractions of non-food items.
What Is the Ideal Pitbull Muzzle Size?
Finding a muzzle for pitbulls that is the ideal size can be challenging, but with a proper fitting, there are sure to be several choices available. So, how do you fit your pitbull for a muzzle?
Measuring and fitting your pet for the best pitbull muzzle is simple. This process consists of only two measurements: the snout’s length and the snout circumference.
- Measure your dog’s snout circumference. The appropriate pitbull muzzle size will need to be 1 to 3 inches larger to accommodate panting, drinking, and eating treats.
- Measure your dog’s snout length from the tip of their nose to ½-inch to 1-inch below their eye. The pitbull muzzle you choose should not be longer than this, or it will bother their eyes.
The material of a pit bull dog muzzle will also be a consideration when fitting your pet. Some materials will be soft and flexible, while others will be hard. Again, the reason for muzzling your pet will help choose what material is necessary, as a soft netted muzzle will not keep a pitbull from biting when scared.
How To Teach Your Pitbull To Wear a Muzzle
Your dog may not welcome a muzzle at first, but it is simple to teach your pitbull to wear one without problems with proper training.
- Never force the muzzle on your pet. Always ensure the muzzle has a positive association with it.
- Start introductions slowly and gradually.
- Let your pitbull sniff the muzzle first. Let him acquaint himself with the item so it becomes familiar.
- Use lots of treats during the training process. This way, it reinforces positive behavior and rewards with the muzzle.
- Hold the muzzle in one hand with treats in the other. Each time your pet sniffs the muzzle, reward him with a treat.
- Next, place treats inside the muzzle opening and encourage your pitbull to take them out. Slowly place treats further inside the muzzle, making your dog put his snout in further each time.
- After multiple introductions, place the muzzle on your dog’s face without doing it up. Reward him immediately and remove the muzzle.
- Slowly progress to putting the muzzle on and fastening it. Introduce it several times per day for a few seconds up to a few minutes, offering treat rewards each time.
Your pet will become familiar with his muzzle and associate it with a positive environment and rewarding treats by using slow progressions. Then, when you need to muzzle him for outdoor walks or meet new animals, there will be no uncertainty or nervousness in your pet.
The best muzzles for Pitbulls will provide a host of benefits for your animal. It should give your pet a comfortable fit while providing a safe environment for them and those around them.
Our top choice of the six muzzles for Pitbulls we explored here is the BronzeDog Adjustable Wire Basket Muzzle. This model is an affordable choice for dog owners who need a basket muzzle for optimal safety and security.